Spaghetti squash is a delicious, "real food" alternative to calorie-dense pasta. This versatile vegetable is cheap, easy to cook, and great for meal prep. Here is one of my favorite low carb, high protein recipes using spaghetti squash:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef (85% or better)
- Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend
- Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
- 8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 6 oz. spinach
- 24 oz. pasta sauce (ideally low sugar and low sodium)
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Face up on a baking sheet, coat the spaghetti squash in olive oil (I like to use the spray) and season with Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb.
- Cook the spaghetti squash, face down, for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet or pot on medium heat until browned.
- While cooking, lightly season the beef with Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in olive oil on medium heat.
- After about 5 minutes, add spinach to the mushrooms and saute for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- When the ground beef is fully cooked, drain the oil, and add the pasta sauce and sauteed spinach and mushrooms.
- Let the spaghetti squash cool for approx. 5 minutes after fully cooked, and then use a spoon to scoop out the "spaghetti".
Calories = 318
Fat = 12 g
Carbs = 17 g
Protein = 35 g
*Recipe makes approximately 6 servings.