0:00 – 12:00: Kevin & Justin Update + Intro
- The guys chat about Catan, This Is Us, and the struggle of trying to gain weight.
12:00 – 19:00: The 5 Exercise Assignment
- Discussing the EliteFTS article that sparked the idea for this podcast.
- The challenge: You can only use 5 exercises to train all university athletes of all sports in all seasons. What are the exercises?
19:00 – 24:00: Trap Bar Deadlift
- Great way to load the hip hinge to build a strong posterior chain.
- Can do speed reps with lighter weight or low reps with heavy weight.
- The trap bar variation is more accessible to most people than other deadlifts.
24:00 – 34:00: Push Up
- Performing a proper push up is much more difficult than most people think.
- Endless variations including varied hand placement, bands, chains, etc.
- 1-Minute Push Up Challenge: Try making 1 push up last 1 full minute.
34:00 – 40:00: Dumbbell Prone Row
- Prevents you from “cheating” reps on your rows by eliminating momentum.
- Using a “sweeping” motion to hit lats rather than pulling straight up and down.
40:00 – 46:00: Bodyweight Inverted Row
- Can use TRX straps, a barbell in rack, or even a laid-down truck bed.
- Very scalable and adjustable with many variations.
46:00 – 54:00: Bulgarian Split Squat
- Unilateral leg movement that builds strength, stability, and mobility.
- A great lower body exercise for anyone with lower back problems.
54:00 – 1:01:00: Cossack Squat
- Getting out of the sagittal plane and moving laterally is crucial.
- Turns on the adductors, abductors, and strengthens/mobilizes hip flexors.
1:01:00 – 1:05:00: Farmer’s Carry
- Builds real-world strength and is extremely functional.
- Challenging both mentally and physically.
1:05:00 – 1:10:00: Broad Jump
- Explosive, dynamic, and fun to do.
- Displays lower body power and teaches proper takeoff/landing mechanics.