ON THIS EPISODE...
This week, Kevin and Justin welcome Matt Kite on the show to share his journey from three-time intern to, now, the Director of Education at D1 Sports.
At just 28, Matt is already coaching the coaches at D1 Sports nationwide. He has worked with numerous professional athletes in the NFL and MLB. But he didn't get there overnight. After graduating from The University of Texas at Austin in 2013, Matt took 3 unpaid internships at multiple facilities in different cities before finding a home at D1.
On this show, we talk to Matt about the value of working for free, as well as the qualities that he looks for in a coach, and how new trainers in the industry can get a leg up on the competition.
3:00 - 27:00: The Internships
- What Matt learned from training at Moncrief alongside world-class athletes.
- Why working at the HIT Center in Austin changed Matt’s career aspirations.
- Why Matt took his third unpaid internship when he moved from Austin to Dallas.
- How to work for free the right way.
27:00 - 49:00: D1 Sports
- How Matt’s initial inquiry to be a client at D1 turned into a job application.
- What Matt learned from being a gym manager in addition to being a coach.
- How Matt went from coach to Director of Education at D1 in just 4 years.
- The importance of staying persistent and “finding a way”.
- How Matt coaches the coaches at D1.
- The training philosophies used for athletes at D1.
49:00 - 1:00:00: Qualities of a Good Coach
- What Matt looks for in a coach.
- Why communication and passion are prerequisites for a strong coach.
- “Athletes don’t care about how much you know until they know how much you care.”
- The role of social media at D1, and with coaching in general.
1:00:00 - 1:09:00: The Fire Round
- Matt answers a series of random questions including his favorite UT athlete of all-time and what he wore on the first day of school in high school.