It's winter time, and there's no better way to stay warm than with a big bowl of chili. Most chili recipes you'll see floating around the internet are extremely oily and loaded with salt, leaving you feeling greasy and bloated. My take on this classic, however, is low in sodium, high in protein, and bursting with flavor. Grab a bowl, for winter is coming!
- 4 lb. lean ground beef or turkey (85% lean or better)
- 1 onion
- 5- 10 oz. cans Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles (No salt added)
- 3- 15 oz. cans black beans (reduced sodium)
- 1- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- Mrs. Dash Chili Seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Put the ground turkey/beef in a skillet or pot on medium heat to cook until browned.
- While cooking, lightly season the ground turkey/beef with garlic powder and black pepper.
- While cooking, add diced onion to ground turkey/beef.
- When fully cooked, drain all excess oil from the skillet/pot and put ground turkey/beef in the crock pot.
- Add all other ingredients (beans, tomatoes, chili seasoning) to the crock pot, thoroughly mix, and cover.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.